Sunday, February 4, 2018

I Just Wanted A Diet Coke

Yesterday was Ice Cream For Breakfast Day.  My first question is, "Why?" followed by, "Who gets to make these things official?" A short and lazy search for answers came up with a family in upstate New York who created it between winter holidays. Their kids spread the word in college and word of mouth put it on the calendar.
If all you have to do is get tired of winter and tell your college friends something weird about your parents involving ice cream then I submit My Dad Is Hiding The Good Ice Cream Under The Gross Ice Cream Which Makes No Sense Because Why Even Get That Kind In The First Place Day.


Mackinac Island Fudge topped with raspberry sauce on top of a freshly made waffle

We went to the Chocolate Shoppe which used to be the Chocolate House which is where my dad had ice cream baristas fill gallons of covert layers. Unfortunately I couldn't stomach any of the creations I'd been planning on such as Lucky Charms in banana ice cream or Caramel Apple Pie with Cinnamon Toast Crunch crumbles. When I asked for caffeine I was pointed to a caffeinated espresso ice cream with fudge swirls and chocolate. I meant do you have a Diet Coke.

She did an admirable job of putting away this monstrosity

It was too early for anything except wake up soda and a bit of toast as I'm not an early riser and usually can't eat breakfast until it's close to lunch. But my cousin Nanci was up for anything. She's one of my favorite go-to taste testers and has eaten worse than this for the sake of a post.

Are we not trying to discourage this trend?

People were feasting on Greenbush Bakery donut ice cream sandwiches and freshly made waffles topped with many imaginative and disgusting things, some in pajamas, some not.

If ever a child did not want to be seen with their parents

A UW student most likely armed with freshly acquired knowledge and a shiny new sense of self-importance objected to my taking a picture of the food on her table. I was going to trash it when she said, "I'm going to stand here while you delete it." The way she said it set my teeth on edge so I went against my policy of request and delete. It's a pretty crummy photo and the young lady in profile seemed as thrilled to be in the middle of her friend's drama as the kid eating breakfast ice cream with her parents.

Wafflegeddon

When I walked over to her friends and showed them the photo I got the feeling they'd been through this before. The drama queen was going to show me proof I was acting illegally—which I was looking forward to—but couldn't come up with anything so threatened to "call someone." We lingered a bit to see if "someone" would show but she strutted off down State Street in search of a new 15-minute cause, blowing me a kiss through the window.

My dad, taker of unwanted photos and kind of ice cream camo

Although the Chocolate Shoppe was promoting this as a media event and encouraged posting photos to Facebook and Instagram it helps to know some of the basic laws of street photography (I found #6 especially helpful).
What experiences have you had when taking photos of people, I'd love to hear about them in the comments or email.

41 comments:

  1. Good grief -- somebody had a problem getting up on the wrong side of the bed there. An ice cream shop here was advertising maple bacon ice cream for the day ... and encouraging showing up in PJs ... we laughed about it because it was all the way on the other side of Ft Myers, so yeah, we're going to get up early and drive through heavy traffic in our pajamas ... wouldn't that be a sure way to get caught in an accident? I wondered about the history , thanks for looking it up. Your cousin is a trooper!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS, You're killing me with your photos, Sallie.

      Delete
  2. Hey this looks like your "old" blog? Or? Most people even the educated ones, do not know the "rights" of a photographer.
    As far as I know the rules of street photography is that "everything that is in plain sight is up for grabs." But, you can't go on someone's private property, and take a picture from the window to shoot what you see inside. Of course that is why the paparazzi have those powerful lenses:):) They don't need to go on someone's private property and it is still in plain sight for them!
    Ice cream - I can't even think about it ... yet! Many thanks for sharing this experience - sorry you encountered some disgruntled people:( Have a great week, Jeanna!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I've been trying to make The Curtain "cheesy" without being too busy. I've had a few blogs, my oldest one is pink with a photo of my nephew taste testing some awful candy. The Dish and The Curtain do have the same blog title font and I last remember a picture of the dam in the header but not sure about what was before that.
      This kid was, shall we say, "stretching the truth" to show off to her friends was my take. I bet you anything she has a phone full of pics taken without people's consent. As far as that sort of thing goes it went fairly well in the sense that it could have been worse, she made a fool of herself and her friends seemed embarrassed by her.
      I always wondered how the paparazzi got some of those photos and could legally sell them. I was looking on the ACLU website because this fall a security guard got aggressive when I was taking photos down the street on what I believe is county property. I might actually write them to see what's what.
      I hear you, and really thought I could eat some kind of donut ice cream waffle thing but I couldn't do it.
      Have a fantastic week down there yourself, J.

      Delete
  3. Yeah, Nanci put up with a lot when my candy blog was active, lol. I never thought of something happening when you were dressed in pajamas and considering someone backed up into me right after "breakfast" then later I was almost t-boned by an ATV I'll think twice about even considering it.
    There's always someone who's going to give you a hard time eventually. I'm glad it doesn't happen too often and I got the impression from the way she carried on this was not a case of getting up cranky. It was one of the few times I was happy to be the age I am.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love having ice cream for breakfast. I've only done it a few times and only when I've had a drama of a morning, such as having to walk my bike home 5 miles because of a flat tire.

    I have no problem taking full-face photos of people who participate in parades and performances. I don't take shots of unknown people at events, parks, or while walking down a street, unless it's of their backs or they're in shadow and otherwise unrecognizable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you Susie? You must have a cast iron stomach. Oh no, that is a LONG way to walk a bike and one of my biggest fears. I watched demos on how to fix a flat and had a kit and a pump in the seat and an extra pump just in case and never had to use them. At this point I have no idea how to change and fix a flat bike tire and not sure what I'd do (since then they've come out with cell phones though, haha).
    You don't, well that's one way to handle it. I take my hat off to people who do a lot of street photography.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You got some real wonderful odd balls for this week. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I sure did, Cee, must be my charming personality attracting them like crazy bees to a chubby tub of honey.

      Delete
  7. Well I hope they shared some with you and you always get one drama queen don't you some just like to get noticed LOL

    "Flicks hand does a twirl and leaves blog" ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and if you don't have one in your group it's you, hardee har har.
      Haaa, you crack me up Stevarino!

      Delete
  8. Ice cream for breakfast? Yuk! I don't have the nerve to photograph strangers even in a public place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree I couldn't eat any of those ice cream creations although I thought I could. I think people make fantastic subjects but it's tough call sometimes. I usually just go for it but in this case the offended party wasn't even in the photo. Ironically enough I let the incident wear me out and missed the best shot.

      Delete
  9. Yummy foodie photos ~ delicious!

    Happy Week to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not for everyone, I couldn't even manage a root beer float.

      Delete
  10. Beautifully captured!

    Indulge in guerrilla photography or if the subject catches me in action, I ask with a slight nod :)11

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that's what I'm doing but maybe I'll try the nod thing. Unless you mean ooh ooh ahh ahh (making monkey noises).

      Delete
  11. I missed ice cream for breakfast- darn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you can make the Tuna For Breakfast Bash.

      Delete
  12. Wow - what a feast, and in pjs too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never had ice cream for breakfast but I'm not a breakfast person as a whole.
    It looks like the US photography laws are very similar to the UK ones. Generally speaking we can snap whatever we like in the public domain. The girl in question sounds like she was showing off to her friends! #mmbc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither unless I've been up for hours. It does sounds similar although there are some rules about private and government buildings I need to review. I'm pretty sure she was looking for an excuse to show off her sanctimony.

      Delete
  14. I may be old fashioned, but I really hate to see people wearing pajamas in supermarkets or gas stations or anywhere in public.

    Worth a Thousand Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unless you're a 4-year-old and even then I think about germs. It's gotten out of hand at the grocery stores, etc.

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. It's not like I haven't eaten cake for breakfast, especially cannoli cake and a cold glass of milk but I couldn't handle this.

      Delete
  16. I like ice cream, but not for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, I do not know who came up with these "official days." There are some crazy ones out there. However, I like the idea of having ice cream for breakfast. I think I have done it once or twice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the idea, Ruth, but couldn't pull it off. Thankfully I have a cousin with a can do attitude and a bit of a sweet tooth.

      Delete
  18. Sounds like an interestingly fun morning. I want to know though...was the food on her table really that upset at being photographed..haha. Ice cream for breakfast tradition sounds so amazing. May have to start my own day for that and take the grandbabies. Thanks for sharing and making me smile today.

    Peabea@Peabea Scribbles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think that food was up for being served for breakfast and photographed but it was a fun idea.
      If you think of a day for that or something else make sure you take lots of photos...or maybe not.

      Delete
  19. Well, closest I ever got to ice cream for breakfast is making a smoothie in my blender at home. Fruit, ice, a scoop of ice cream and some whole milk. yummy... only in the summertime. We mix it up now & then too like strawberries, pineapple, etc... mmmmmm IS IT SUMMER YET???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt pretty warm when I was in the sun in the car with the heat on taking photos out of the window today does that count? I will eat ice cream year round but I'm trying not to although I only make fruit smoothies in the summer too for some reason. Sounds delicious. I should eat more pineapple.

      Delete

 Please don't link your blog in the comments or it will be deleted. Your comment, not your blog, but wouldn't that be unsettling? Blog Hop Links are in the sidebar.

Search This Blog

Big Rope Little Dog

It's been a tough week so I'll leave you with a few more phone pics. This rope smells like you and you belong to me therefore ...